Sarpo Axona Blight Resistant Seed Potatoes
The SHAPE & TASTE Sarpo
Axona is related to Sarpo Mira but with even better characteristics that make it easier to grow, easier to cook and with a superb taste.
Axona is a pink skinned main crop potato that is winning critical acclaim wherever it is grown and eaten. It's great blight and disease resistance, coupled with it's weed smothering foliage and natural dormancy makes it ideal for the Grow It Yourself enthusiast or beginner. The potato plants come up and fill the available space with stunning dark green foliage, the plants develop eye stopping pink flowers and is untroubled by Potato Blight and other diseases such as virus’ and silver scurf.
As it grows Axona fills out to produce large regular shaped tubers that can produce very large yields of very flavoursome potatoes. Whether you store your harvest or keep in the ground, Axona’s inbuilt dormancy means that it will keep fresh and without sprouting until spring.
- Red maincrop.
- It's vigorous growth suppresses weeds.
- High yield of red oval long tubers, cream coloured flesh.
- High dry matter content means a floury potato with a good potato taste.
- Pruning/cutting the potato stalks about10cms above ground level can help the potatoes mature early. Do a test dig in September and begin to prune when you are happy with tuber size. Axona can become very big so pruning is highly recommended.
- Allow your potatoes to stay in the ground for at least two weeks after pruning. This will help them develop a thick, protective skin that keeps the potatoes fresh for months after harvesting.
- Please click HERE to read our Blog post on growing potatoes.