Melilotus albus annual Sow months: March to September Kg/ha: 18-20 kg 1kg covers: 400m2
- N Fixer. Perennial
- Excellent as a soil improver due to long, strong tap root.
- Will tolerate drought, salinity and moderate waterlogging.
- Recognised as one of the most valuable plants for honey production. It opens its heavy load of white flowers in July and August when it is a major source of nectar for bees in apiaries, and indeed, its botanical name means "honey-scented white lotus".
- Its characteristic sweet odour, intensified by drying, is derived from the coumarins it produces.
- Suitable for hay or silage.
- Grows naturally on a wide range of soil types and textures from clays to light and sandy.
- Optimum ph range 6.5 to 8.5 - does not tolerate highly acidic soils.
- Responds well to high fertility, particularly P and K .