If you want the freshest flour possible with all the nutrition intact then there is no substitute for milling your own.
In whole-grain foods, the plant's cellular walls protect nutrients from oxidation. The process of oxidation begins to occur as soon as grain is ground, exposing the cell's contents to oxygen in the air. Flour that is several days (or more) old, has been exposed to oxygen that inevitably diminishes its nutritional value. The only way to get full nutrition from whole grain foods is to mill them when you need them, right in your kitchen.
All grains come in their own perfectly designed preservation packaging, the bran. This exterior shell of the grain is made up of many nutrient rich layers. It protects and preserves the vital nutrients stored in the grain, almost indefinitely. Once the bran has been damaged or cracked open, the inner elements are exposed to oxygen, which destroys the vitamins and oils in just a short period of time. Within twenty-four hours of grinding wheat, forty percent of the nutrients have oxidised. Within seventy-two hours of processing (just three days), ninety percent of the nutrients have been destroyed. From this point on, the flour still maintains its mineral content and its caloric value, but the life-giving vitamins and oils have been essentially destroyed - over twenty-five of them! By immediately using the freshly processed flour or grain, you are consuming and reaping the health and flavour benefits of these essential vitamins and oils.
Advantages of milling your own flour
- Nutrition - flour processing and modern milling remove 80-90% of the useful nutrients. However, when you grind your whole grains at home, you are also grinding the bran and germ into the flour and making sure it’s free of bleaching agents and additives. When the
flour is milled and it sits on the shelf it loses its nutrient value within the first 24 hours. Freshly milled flour is so much more nutritious than flour from the shop.
- Quality - if you mill your own flour you know what is in it. You decide which wheat/grain variety to use and what level of coarseness you want.
- Quantity - you need only mill what you wish to consume today so there is no waste and no need to ‘use up’ old rancid flour.
- Taste - baked goods from freshly milled flour are far superior .
- Variety - why stop with wheat? With a mill you can process anything including rye, barley, rice, nuts and seeds.
- Ease – using a quality hand mill is a quick an efficient way to have fresh flour every day. Manual mills are also a good way of involving children in the kitchen.
We have sold Hawos Grain Mills and flakers for many years. They tick all the boxes - attractive, tactile, easy to use, efficient, long lasting, quiet ...... the list goes on!
- Well designed – easy to use and maintain. Very attractive items that would be an asset to any kitchen.
- Backed up by a 10 year warranty.
- All casings are made from wood (birch, beech and lime ) harvested from PEFC certified forests in Austria.
- Adjustable with 9 settings. This is important so you can determine the fineness of the flour and because the different types of grain and seed you can grind with the mill will vary a lot in their composition.
- Spare stones always available. However, in 15 years selling these mills nobody has needed to replace them. The stones are good for 20 tonnes of flour!
- Quiet in operation.
- Integrated brush in the bottom rotating grindstone - this sweeps out the flour with every rotation thus automatically cleaning the mill.
- Please click HERE to read the Hawos catalogue.
Freshly rolled cereal flakes contain all the vitamins and nutrients of the whole grain. Flakes rolled from whole grain cereals and added to fruit and groundnuts make the perfect breakfast muesli. Children will love rolling their own flakes and creating their own special muesli recipe.
The Hawos Phoenix is a modern hand-operated cereal flaker with a robust toothed wheel gear mechanism. The reinforced wooden hopper can be easily removed in order to empty it, for example when switching to another type of cereal. The Hawos Phoenix is suitable for rolling all types of cereal grains. The rollers are child's play to clean. The roller gap is continuously adjustable. Its large base and the strong clamp ensure that the mill is securely and safely attached to the work surface. The crank handle is easy to remove.
Features of the Phoenix flaker -
- Robust toothed wheel gear mechanism.
- Reinforced wooden hopper can be easily removed in order to empty it, for example when switching to another type of cereal. The Phoenix is suitable for rolling all types of cereal grains.
- The roller gap is continuously adjustable.
- Large base and the strong clamp ensure that the mill is securely and safely attached to the work surface. The crank handle is easy to remove for storage.
*Ordinary oats cannot be flaked because they are protected by a very tough husk . Naked oats have no husk and are suitable.