Mayan Gold - Seed Potatoes
- Mayan Gold potatoes are an early maincrop.
- Ideally suited for processing into gourmet potato products.
- Yellow skinned, long, oval, tubers with a deep golden flesh, a unique nutty flavour, and an extremely creamy, yet dry texture.
- Mayan Gold has proven exceptionally popular with chefs and the restaurant trade.
- The carotenoids responsible for the golden flesh are precursors of vitamin A - an essential nutrient normally lacking in the otherwise nutritionally complete potato.
- Fantastic for chips and roast potatoes with a crispy texture and fluffy centres.
- Superb flavour when cooked in its skin, and for all cooking uses except boiling, as tubers tend to disintegrate.
- One of the first potatoes bred from the indigenous Phureja potatoes of Peru.
- Mayan Gold are said to be the closest potato to the ones allegedly brought back from South America by Sir Walter Raleigh. Even if this is not true - Mayan Gold is a real treasure and tastes amazing!
- Read our blog post on how to chit potatoes.