Grazing/Forage Rye (Secale cereale) "Protector"
Can be sown from September till Mid December ( but can be sown any time)
Seeding rate kg/ha: 140-160kg 1kg covers: 60-80m2 When sowing later, increase seeding rate!
Grazing Rye, Fodder Rye or Hungarian Rye - can be used anywhere in crop rotation plans. Is deep rooting and hardy.
This year we have the variety PROTECTOR which is one of the fastest developing Rye grain variety, in Autumn as well in Spring.
- Rye is an excellent nitrogen lifter and it can lift and release up to 90% of nitrate to the next crop.
- Can be sown latest of all greenmanures, even in October, November.
- Deep roots help to break up heavy soils and improve soil structure.
- Suppresses weeds.
- It suits most soils and copes especially well with heavy clay ones.
- Dig into the soil in early spring - the foliage can be strimmed off and composted and the roots turned in with a sharp spade
As green manure foliage decomposes it releases compounds that can inhibit germination. This is especially true of Rye. It is therefore not advisable to sow seeds immediately after digging in a green manure. Wait with sowing of small seeds for at least 3 weeks. Transplants and large seeded crops are not effected.
How to sow green manures –
- Prepare a reasonable seed bed.
- Broadcast or drill seeds. If you have a large area to cover it is a good idea to divide the seed and the land into 4 parts to avoid running out of seed.
- Rake, roll and water if soil is dry.