For late sowing. N fixer. Sown until October Pack contains enough for 20m2
- Excellent winter cover crop.
- The vetch provides Nitrogen whilst the Rye adds support and extra weed suppresssion.
- Good for soil structure.
- Best to sow in September to ensure high germination of the vetch.
All cover crops should be either tilled in, mowed down almost to the ground, or smothered by organic mulches before they go to seed.
As green manure foliage decomposes it releases compounds that can inhibit germination. This is especially true of grazing rye. It is therefore not advisable to sow seeds immediately after digging in a green manure. Transplants and large seeded crops are not effected
How to sow green manures –
- Prepare a reasonable seed bed.
- Broadcast you seeds. If you have a large area to cover it is a good idea to divide the seed and the land into 4 parts to avoid running out of seed.
- Rake in and water if soil is dry.