Wheat Grain/Seed for growing wheatgrass or sprouting.
Single variety wheat berries which are perfect for Wheatgrass. These seeds have a high germination rate and a very even growth.
This biodynamically developed winter wheat variety Govelino we have specialy chosen for its high yield of very sweet juice. This variety does not have a tendency to frot when the grass is juiced. It is a good bread making variety too!
Store in a cool, dry place with good air circulation.
How to grow Wheatgrass -
- Weigh out the seed quantity required. 3- 4 seeds per cm2 are a minimum to get good, dense growth. Our large growing trays have dimensions of 50cm x 32cm and require appr. 100g of wheat seeds per sowing.
- Fill a seed tray with 4 – 6 cms quality (ideally certified organic) compost. Water the compost generously and leave to drain for 30 minutes.
- Spread the wheat seeds over the soil – about 3-4 seeds per cm2. The seeds should be touching each other but not overlapping.
- Lightly sprinkle (sieve) compost over the seeds to cover them.
- Keep the trays in indirect sunlight in a not too warm area. Continue watering – very sparingly - as needed. Liquid seaweed can be added to the water to feed the plants.
- After 7 – 10 days ( summer) or 10 – 14 days ( winter) the wheat will be tall enough (15 – 20cm) for harvesting and juicing.
- If you want to give this a go please look at our Wheatgrass Shop
- Ease into a wheatgrass routine, by starting with one ounce per day and slowly graduating up to two ounces per day. Wheatgrass should always be consumed on an empty stomach or with other fruits and vegetables. It should never be consumed after a meal, otherwise it will make you feel nauseated.
Nutrition and health benefits of wheatgrass
Wheatgrass contains vitamins B, C and E. It is also contains calcium, iron, magnesium, pantothenic acid, phosphorus and amino acids and 15% Protein.
During sprouting, minerals, such as calcium and magnesium, bind to protein, making them more bioavailable. The content of vitamins and essential fatty acids also increase during the sprouting process.
Wheat Seed can also be used for sprouting, which will give you a very sweet sprout which children love.
Rejuvelac - This is a fermented drink made from sprouted wheat berries. The fermentation extracts most of the nutrients from the berries for a delicious, fresh tasting drink.
- Sprout the wheat berries until the tail appears.
- Place the sprouted wheat berries and four times the quantity of filtered water in a jar.
- Leave in a warm place for 24-48 hours. The liquid should get a little fizzy and turns cloudy.
- Pour off the liquid to save and place in the refrigerator. It will keep up to a week.
- The liquid should taste clean and fresh with a hint of citrus.