Organic Pea Seed for Microgreens
Pea shoots are a nutritious and tasty treat that are very easy to grow.
- The shoots have a delicious, nutty and distinct sweet pea-like flavour and are high in vitamins A, B, C and E.
- They contain seven times more vitamin C than blueberries.
- Pea shoots are also rich in calcium, chlorophyll, beta carotene and folic acid.
- Not only that but pea shoots will also add iron, magnesium, niacin, phosphorus and potassium to your diet. That's a lot of nutrition to grow in your kitchen!
- In terms of impact, pea shoots will add the wow factor to all your salads. Their delicate tendrils can make a simple dish look exciting.
- Pea shoots could also help encourage a picky eater to become more interested in food.
How to grow pea shoots
- Soak the peas for 8 hours. You will need quite a large container as they double in size.
- Rinse and drain the seeds well.
- Sprinkle the soaked peas over a tray of compost and press down gently.
- It is advisable to use a micro biologically tested compost such as Klassmanns Peat Free Seed Compost to ensure there is no ecoli present.
- Cover with a fine layer of compost.
- Keep compost moist (but not soaking).
- Best kept at a steady temperature of about 20oC
- Cut pea shoots after about two weeks, or when you are happy with your crop!