Phacelia/Vetch Winter mix Kg/ha: 40-50kg 1kg covers: 200-250m2
Sow until early October
- Lots of quick growth make this mix a really good weed suppressor.
- Best to sow in warm soil to ensure high germination fo the vetch.
- Will give you loads of organic matter - easy to incorporate back into the soil.
All cover crops should be either tilled in, mowed down almost to the ground, or smothered by organic mulches before they go to seed.
As green manure foliage decomposes it releases compounds that can inhibit germination. This is especially true of grazing rye. It is therefore not advisable to sow seeds immediately after digging in a green manure. Transplants and large seeded crops are not effected.
How to sow green manures –
- Prepare a reasonable seed bed.
- Broadcast you seeds. If you have a large area to cover it is a good idea to divide the seed and the land into 4 parts to avoid running out of seed.
- Rake in and water if soil is dry.