Green Manures & Forage Crops
Green manures are especially suited to Ireland and the UK to help protect and improve your soil. Benefits of green manures include:
- provide nutrients and organic matter for succeeding crops. Red Clover can fix in the region of 200kg N per hectare per year.
- create living space for predators, bees and other insects
- cover bare soil, which otherwise loses fertility and structure
- break up compacted soil
- supply colourful flowers for house and garden
- Click HERE for more information
By combining different green manures the results can be improved further. e.g. a legume and a non-legume, a deep and a shallow rooter, a tall green manure plant and a low growing type.
Sowing rates for all seeds/mixtures are for application by seeder. Broadcast distribution of seeds requires ca 25% more seeds.