Carolus Organic Seed Potatoes
Carolus is our most popular potato at the moment. It is an early main crop which has smooth-skinned pale yellow tubers with attractive shallow red eyes and pale yellow flesh. Carolus potatoes combine a floury texture with excellent flavour with the added advantage of being highly blight resistant. It produces a bumper crop of uniformly sized oval tubers with no signs of blight or rotting from a late September harvest. The name Carolus was chosen by Dutch school children in a competition to choose a name for the first potato variety successfully bred especially for organic cultivation to be blight resistant. Carolus was the Latin name of the Swedish scientist Carl Linnaeus who is known as the father of modern taxonomy.
- Tubers are uniformly oval in shape.
- It has very high dry matter so is perfect for baking, chipping, mashing and roast potatoes.
- Really excellent flavour.
- Excellent late blight resistance in both foliage and tubers.
- Exclusive to Fruit Hill Farm.
To insure the best outcome for your potato crop it is important to consider the particular agronomic qualities of the variety.
- Carolus set their tubers shallowly in the soil so it is good to plant them slightly deeper than normal and insure that there is enough soil available for earthing them up well.
- They are slow to take off so wait until soil has warmed up before planting.
- For more specific variety information on Carolus potatoes click here.