The quickest and easiest way to achieve finely cut cabbage is with a Mandolin. Place the cabbage in the box and then move from side to side over the blades.
- Mandolin size 60cms x 24cms.
- Three blades
- Robust and strong
- Made from wood
Uniformly-cut cabbage threads make consistent-textured and flavoured sauerkraut, When cabbge is cut uniformly and thin it all ferments at the same time. If some cabbage is thick and some thin; then parts are too mushy, and some too crunchy, and that is never good sauerkraut.
Why Thread Cuts are Better
- Expose more cabbage cells
- More exposed cabbage cells release more lactic-acid bacteria
- More lactic-acid bacteria creates more lactic acid
- Lactic acid helps to maintain a good pH which preserves flavour, texture and color