Organic Vetch Seed (Vicia sativa)
Sow months: March to September Kg/ha: 80-100 kg 1kg covers: 100m²
- Produces a lot of bulky foliage that suppresses weeds.
- Will add organic matter and improves the texture of the soil.
- Grows best with a support plant - e.g. Phacelia, Sunflower, Westerwolds or Rye.
- Will attract bees if allowed to flower.
- Crop residues are succulent and decompose quickly.
- Best not to top as it does not recover well from cutting.
- Allelopathic effect - be careful if planning on direct sowing crops after incorporation.
How to sow green manures –
- Prepare a reasonable seed bed.
- Broadcast you seeds.
- If you have a large area to cover it is a good idea to divide the seed and the land into 4 parts to avoid running out of seed.
- Rake in and water if soil is dry.