Organic Vetch Vicia sativa
Sow months: March to September Kg/ha: 80-100 kg 1kg covers: 100m2
- Produces a lot of bulky foliage that suppresses weeds
- Will add organic matter and improves the texture of the soil.
- Grows best with a support plant - ie Phacelia or Sunflower - Westerwolds or Rye, which also helps with weed suppression.
- Will attract bees if allowed to flower.
- Crop residues are succulent and decompose quickly.
How to sow green manures –
- Prepare a reasonable seed bed.
- Broadcast you seeds. If you have a large area to cover it is a good idea to divide the seed and the land into 4 parts to avoid running out of seed.
- Rake in and water if soil is dry.