Austrian Adjustable Scythe Snath including D-ring and Allen Key (Not including blade)
- A gently curved ergonomic ash shaft.
- Light hand grips which can be moved along the shaft to suit the size and stance of the user.
- Fixing the hand grips to the shaft is easily done with a single secure bolt.
- The blade will be attached to the snath with a clamp ('D ring') that is held in place by two grub screws driven by an Allen key.
- Both D ring and Allen key are provided with every snath.
- Spare shafts available.
The snaths come in three sizes: 150cm, 160cm and 170cm.
- 150cm for people 155 - 185cm tall (5ft to 6ft)
- 160cm for people 185 - 195cm tall (6ft to 6ft 4in)
- 170cm for people 190 - 200cm tall (6ft 3in to 6ft 7in)
Traditionally, left-handed scythes were rare as mowing was done in teams and everybody needed to be moving in the same direction. Most left-handers adjust easily to mowing with a right-handed scythe as the motion is symmetrical. Using a right-handed scythe gives you more options for blades and they are more readily available. However, if you do want a left-handed snath, we keep a few in stock and have 70cm mowing blades for them - please call to order.
Correct snath assembly
- Lower (L shaped) handle should be at hip height.
- Higher handle should be positioned so that it is a forearms length (outer elbow to tip of middle finger) plus 5cm from lower handle.
- For information on using a scythe, please click HERE
Scything and peening have always been hugely important to a rural economy. See picture from 14th century St. Vitus Cathedral Golden Gate fence, Prague, Czech Republic.
Customer Reviews 2 item(s)
- Excellent functionality, easy assembly, very tough
- We are very happy with the two snaths we bought. The size given is correct and we have been using one with the short and one with the medium length blade without problems. They are easy to assemble and contrary to four others we bought in Ireland from three different retailers that were no good these actually do the job. Nothing comes loose or breaks off. We have been using the older one extensively, i.e. up to six hours a day, for two years and functionally it is still as good as new.
- Excellent product.
- Delivered quickly. Much more ergonomic and easy to use than other sythes I've tried. Still hard work when grass is heavy and overgrown. It could be I still don't have the technique right of course.