You can make a range of size blocks from micro blocks for germinating seeds and larger blocks for growing on the plants. This system requires less space and heating compared to large propogation trays. All are made from steel and are zinc plated for durability.
Micro Blocker – The microblocker is for starting small seeds. It makes 20 blocks of 20x20x20mm. When the plants are about 5cm high they should be ‘transplanted’ into the bigger blocks. You can do this by replacing the ‘dimple’ in the bigger blockers with an ‘insert’ that makes a hole the same size as a micro block making it easy to transplant into the larger blocks.
Inserts – for making indentations in the larger blocks to take the micro transplants. 4 inserts (the black squares in the photos). To use the inserts replace the rounded white plastic indentation makers in the top of the blocker with these cube shaped indentation makers.
Hand Blocker – ideal for the hobby gardener:
- Hand blocker 4: Makes 4 blocks of 50x50x50mm height 26cm, weight 750g
- Hand blocker 5: Makes 5 blocks of 38x38x38mm
Professional Blocker – our professional blockers make it easy to produce large quantities of blocks
- Professional blocker 12: Makes 12 blocks of 50x50x50mm height 79cm, weight 3kg
Professional blocker 20: Makes 20 blocks of 38x38x50mm height 79cm, weight:3.3kg
How to make soil blocks
- First you’ll need some blocking compost. Some people like to add a small amount of soil (1 part to 10) and maybe some leaf-mould. Then create a mix by stirring it up with water until it’s quite wet and sticky – try throwing a bit at the side of the container to see if it sticks. If it does you’re good to go.
- Now load your blocker with compost. Press it down a few times to make sure all the blocks are full. When water comes out of the tops of the blocks they’re done.
- Clean off the bottom of the blocker and then press it out into a tray.
- The blocks below have been made with the microblocker inserts – hence the square shapes in them. If you’ve germinated seeds in the microblocks you can now separate the microblocks and transplant into the bigger blocks.