Organic Fodder (Oil) Radish Seed
Sow months: 4-9 Coverage - 1 kg covers 400m2 6-8kg/acre 15-20kg/ha
- Weed suppressor.
- Fodder radish or also called Oil Radish has deep taproots that help break up soil and draw up nutrients.
- Will improve soil structure.
- Fast growing and hardy -can be sown as late as September.
- Can be sown at any time once temperatures start to rise in the spring, and then can either be cut down on flowering or allowed to die back naturally through winter, used as a mulch and dug in during early spring.
- If it becomes too long it can be topped to about 20cm and allowed to re-grow.
- Fodder radish can grow in full sun or in semi-shade and is suitable for all soil types.
- Radish can be interplanted between crops and can be sown with a legume(Vetch) where additional nitrogen is required.
- In September it can be sown with (Grazing) Rye.
Did you know -
- Fodder Radish is also thought to contain chemicals that help suppress nematodes e.g. cyst nematodes which attack potatoes.
- Is part of the Brassica family and should be treated as such for crop rotation purposes.