Sow months: 3-6 1kg covers: 60m2
Organic matter forage with high protein. Fast growing N fixer.
- They suit light sandy acid soils but will tolerate most situations.
- Very long tap roots that dredge up minerals. (Lupins fix 25% more free nitrogen than clovers and 28% more than peas and beans).
- The long roots also help to break up and aerate heavier soils.
- Will increase the moisture retention properties of the soil due to the large amount of bulk produced - both leaf and root.
- Part of the legume family.
- Can be used for fodder.
- Lupins produce beautiful blue/white flowers but it is best to dig it in and cut down before they flower.
How to sow green manures –
- Prepare a reasonable seed bed.
- Broadcast you seeds. If you have a large area to cover it is a good idea to divide the seed and the land into 4 parts to avoid running out of seed.
- Rake in and water if soil is dry.
Did you know -
- The flowers are great for insects so a few could be left to flower to draw more insects into the vegetable area.