Cereal Rye (Secale cereale)
Can be sown from September till Mid December
Kg/ha: 180kg kg/acre: 75kg 1kg covers: 60-80m2
Rye (Dukato) - Cereal Rye can be used anywhere in the crop rotation.
Rye is an Nitrogen Lifter, it makes good growth into the winter and scavenges more soil N than any other, and is therefore one of the best winter green manures. It is especially good when mixed with vetch. Sow from mid September until November.
- Rye is an excellent nitrogen lifter and it can lift and release up to 90% of nitrate to the next crop.
- Can be sown latest of all greenmanures, even in October, November or during December.
- It will germinate at 4 C.
- Deep roots help to break up heavy soils and improve soil structure.
- Suppresses weeds.
- It suits most soils and copes especially well with heavy clay ones.
- Dig into the soil in early spring - the foliage can be strimmed off and composted and the roots turned in with a sharp spade.
- Can be sown in Spring, will not go to seed, but will effectively smother weeds.
- "Rye (Secale cereale L.) is a multipurpose crop that is grown for its fodder, grains, or as a cover crop. Rye when grown as cover crop suppresses the weeds through either of shading, physical interference, or allelopathy, or all of these. Rye is a potent allelopathic crop; benzoxazinoids and phenolic compounds being the important allelochemicals in its plants. Cover crops and mulches are the extensively used methods where allelopathic potential of rye can be employed to control weeds. Another way is to grow rye cultivars (when rye is grown as sole crop). Nevertheless, cover crops may be the most important way of utilizing rye allelopathy for controlling weeds." ( Department of Plant Protection, Faculty of Agriculture and Natural Sciences Duzce UniversityTurkey)
As green manure foliage decomposes it releases compounds that can inhibit germination. This is especially true of rye. It is therefore not advisable to sow seeds immediately after digging in a green manure. Wait with sowing of small seeds for at least 3 weeks. Transplants and large seeded crops are not effected.
How to sow green manures –
- Prepare a reasonable seed bed.
- Broadcast you seeds. If you have a large area to cover it is a good idea to divide the seed and the land into 4 parts to avoid running out of seed.
- Rake in and water if soil is dry.